Age Range: 5 to 18
Restore the Respect: How To Mediate School Conflicts And Keep Students Learning$66.00, Paperback
Add to cartQuestions?
Unresolved conflicts in schools build barriers to learning, including low motivation, lack of focus, and disruptive behaviors that remove students from the classroom. When teacher-student conflicts occur, the negative effects can be long-lasting without a safe and structured way to repair the relationship.
This reader-friendly guidebook has a concrete, evidence-based solution: an easy and effective 50-minute mediation technique for teachers and students in Grades K-12. School psychologist Ondine Gross guides you through the whole process of starting a teacher-student mediation program, conducting successful mediations, and collecting and monitoring data to determine the effectiveness of the program. You'll also learn how to use the technique to mediate conflicts between students and between adults in schools, including staff members and parents.
Highly successful as a Tier II intervention, this common-sense solution will help your school leave ineffective discipline techniques behind and embrace more supportive approaches that model social and problem solving skills, reduce suspensions, and keep students learning.
- Reduces disciplinary actions 82% of students who participated in mediation had no further disciplinary referrals from that teacher
- Removes or reduces obstacles to student learning and achievement
- Gives teachers insights into student stressors so they can develop positive solutions
- Strengthens and repairs relationships among all members of a school community: teachers, students, staff members, and parents
- Enhances social-emotional learning and communication skills
- Builds trust and promotes an environment of caring and respect among people of different backgrounds
- Fits perfectly within response to intervention and systems of schoolwide positive behavior support frameworks
- Works in any school embed it as a Tier II intervention in your multitiered system of supports or use it as a standalone strategy
* Statistic derived from average of three years of data from the author's school
Practical Materials: Compelling case stories; candid feedback from teachers, students and administrators; sample mediation dialogue; step-by-step mediation training and practice scenarios; an intervention tracking tool; and a mediation toolbox of handouts and forms.