Age Range: 5 to 18
The Complete Guide to Service Learning, 2ed: Proven, Practical Ways to Engage Students in Civic Responsibility, Academic Curriculum, & Social ActionRRP - $74.95 Our Price - $47.95, Softcover (inc CD)
Add to cartQuestions?
The Complete Guide to Service Learning is the go-to resource in the fast-growing field of service learning. It is an award-winning treasury of service activities, community service project ideas, quotes, reflections, and resources that can help teachers and youth workers engage young hearts and minds in reaching out and giving back. Author, and internationally known service learning expert, Cathryn Berger Kaye presents service learning: its importance, steps, essential elements, and challenges: within a curricular context and organised by theme. This new revised and updated second edition maintains the easy-to-use format of the original and is enhanced to reflect the most up-to-date information on service learning programs and pedagogy.
- A blueprint for service learning, from getting started to assessing the experience
- Integration of K:12 service learning standards new!
- Inspiring quotations, background information and resources, preparation activities, real-life examples and community service project ideas that have worked for other teachers
- 13 thematic chapters (including 2 new themes) covering topics commonly selected for service learning projects:
AIDS Education and Awareness; Animal Protection and Care; Elders; Emergency Readiness new!; The Environment; Gardening; Healthy Lives, Healthy Choices new!; Hunger, Homelessness, and Poverty; Immigrants; Literacy; Safe and Strong Communities; Social Change: Issues and Action; Special Needs and Disabilities.
- Hundreds of real-life field-tested service learning projects, including dozens of new projects
- Ideas for fortifying service learning programs by incorporating global literacy and creating a culture of service new!
The included CD-ROM has over 200 pages of forms and bonus materials including:
- All of the planning and tracking forms from the book, many customisable
- 39 sample planning templates for all service learning themes at each grade level
- 10 original essays written by experts in the field
- More than 300 additional book recommendations
- 22 author interviews, including new interviews with authors Laurie David, Allan Stratton, Cynthia Lord, Jordan Sonnenblick, Tony Johnston, Kathe Koja, Danica Novgorodoff, Dana Reinhardt, Janet Tashjian, Deborah Ellis, Sonia Levitin, Ellen Senisi, and more!
"Bookshelf" sections describe hundreds of books that offer teachable moments about community service, responsibility, caring, and helping, as well as ways to encourage discussion and make the lesson last. Each of the more than 300 annotated book listings helps combine literature and service learning.
Drawing on her years as a classroom teacher and international service learning consultant, trainer, speaker, and program developer, Cathryn Berger Kaye tells you everything you want and need to know about service learning.
Recommended for K-12 teachers and administrators, college and university faculty, youth group leaders, government agencies and non profits, and after-school programs.
Teachers, parents, and group leaders: Use this valuable resource in a classroom or youth-serving organisation, after-school program, or as a family. It can be used on its own or in conjunction with A Kids' Guide to Hunger &; Homelessness, A Kids' Guide to Helping Others Read &; Succeed, A Kids' Guide to Protecting &; Caring for Animals, A Kids' Guide to Climate Change &; Global Warming, and Going Blue: A Teen Guide to Saving Our Oceans &; Waterways.