Alternative Approaches to Assessing Young Children, 2ed$75.00, Softcover (inc CD)
Add to cartQuestions?
In today's climate of increased accountability and diversity, alternative assessments for young children are more important than ever. That's why the timely NEW edition of this bestselling textbook is a must for all educators as they prepare to work with children who are culturally, linguistically, or developmentally diverse.
Developed by top authorities in early childhood special education and widely adopted since its first edition was published in 2001, this introductory text has been carefully updated to reflect 10 years of evolution in demographics, research, technology, and legislation. Pre- and in-service educators of children birth–8 years will:
- learn about six popular alternative assessment methods: naturalistic, focused, performance, portfolio, dynamic, and curriculum-based language
- explore the advantages and limitations of each approach
- effectively link assessment with intervention [NEW CHAPTER!]
- get clear and specific guidelines for before, during, and after assessment
- collaborate and reach consensus with families
- see assessment methods in action with vivid vignettes of children with diverse needs
- discover successful strategies for teaching in inclusive environments
- implement a transdisciplinary framework to ensure comprehensive, multidimensional assessment approaches
With the improved student-friendly features—such as chapter review questions, in-depth case studies, a glossary, and a new sample syllabus—college and university instructors will find this text ideal for introducing pre service educators to the fundamentals of alternative assessments. And the NEW CD-ROM makes this book an invaluable resource beyond the classroom, with more than 2 dozen printable forms for data collection, observation, progress monitoring, IEP/IFSP development, and more.
Grounded in the most current research and best practices, this essential new edition will help pre- and in-service educators capture the full picture of all young children's strengths and needs and provide them with appropriate, individualised instruction.
- CD-ROM with 25 printable PDF forms
- Practical chapter on linking assessment and intervention
- Current information on newer models such as RTI
- Thorough analysis of recent population change
- Helpful review questions and answer keys
- Sample course syllabus
- Updates on legislation, including the IDEA reauthorisation
- Information related to psychometric properties of standardised tests