Age Range: 14 to 50
S.T.A.R.S.: A Social Skills Training Guide for Teaching Assertiveness, Relationship Skills, and Sexual Awareness$37.50, Softcover
Add to CartAsk Question
Specially designed for teaching adolescents and adults with developmental disabilities, the STARS model focuses on four areas: Understanding Relationships, Social Interaction, Sexual Awareness, and Assertiveness -- with the goals of promoting positive sexuality and preventing sexual abuse. Assessment tools help identify the strengths and needs of each individual, and then the activities can be catered to address specific needs.
Goals and activities cover a variety of important skills:
- Building a Positive Self-Image
- Making Choices
- Learning Relationship-Appropriate behaviours
- Engaging in Mature Relationships
- Identifying Body Parts and Understanding Their Functions
- Understanding Public and Private behaviour
- Understanding Sexual Feelings and behaviours
- Understanding Reproduction
- Health Issues Related to Sexual Awareness
- Recognizing a Situation as Unsafe
- Learning to Say "No"